Friday, January 26, 2007

The head is Top Priority

Staying on the skiing theme, I went shopping before my Trysil trip. I bought quite a lot so I'll cover it in several posts, me thinks.

Let's start from the top, so to speak, with the head.

I went to Udéns Sport, an excellent shop for everything alpine in Gothenburg. This really is the place to go if you want expert help and knowledge. I can't recommend them enough. Sure, you can find some of the same equipment in other more generic shops, like InterSport and Stadium, but at Udén they really know what they are talking about and can guide you through your buy.

I'll get back to all the good things about Udéns in upcoming posts (no, they don't sponsor me :)), but I'll leave it there for now.

Anyway, head gear it was...

Tired of borrowing helmets which have been shaped to imperfection by hundereds of other heads, I had decided to get my own. I go for it, when I ski, and it just feels safer with a helmet! But which one to get? There were all shapes and sizes. Finally, I fell for the K2-line. not because they looked any better or worked any better than the others (quite the opposite, on looks alone I would have gone for the white, fluffy, furry helmet), but because it was by FAR the most gadgety!

You see, it's compatible with the K2 headphones, that are built into the extremely comfortable ear covers, slide down through your jacket and into your mp3 player or, of you have an Ericsson phone that supports it, your Phone! I didn't get the extra set, but I will. There will be a separate post about that.

Anyway, so what I bought was the K2 Clutch, 2007 model. Simple look but INCREDIBLY comfortable. It has adjustable sizing in the neck, enabling you to make it fit just as snugly as you want.

I have used this helmet for a weekend of skiing so far.

  • Functionality: This helmet is extremely comfortable, provide excellent protection and has all the extra gadget-ability that one may need. Insulation-wise it really works. It was -14 and windy when we went skiing and I never felt cold.
  • Price: At Udéns it's currently been marked down, from SEK 899 to.. 699 I think, and is a steal at half the price.
  • Looks/coolfactor: Although a helmet in the slope is always cool, some points are lost for looking... a little bit dull.
  • Rating: I give it an 8/10.
-----
Technorati technorati tags: , , , , , ,

7 comments:

Nini said...

Sweet! Smart and gadgety, a must-have!

Besides, your head is something you want tp protect, so a healmet in any case is a must-have...

Dåcktor Erik said...

I never had a helmet when I went skiing. But I'm quite normal anyway.

Nowadays, I get paid (!) to wear a helmet, a nice green one in Aramid fibre. It's cool, I have no idea about the price and it's very functional. I rate it a 10/10.

Nini said...

What what?? Why do you get paid to wear a helmet?

Dåcktor Erik said...

I'm in the Army, part-time. :-)
I get paid every time I wear it. Not sure if it's the actual helmet-wearing I get paid for though...

Ms.Take said...

I doubt it, Dåcktorn. Still helmets are very very cool =)

Dåcktor Erik said...

Yes, they're cool and hot!
I call mine 'my brain-bucket', affectionate voice optional. :-)

I have wicked cool goggles on it too.

Omar Cruz said...

This is a good page, you can visit too: Head Shop, Herbal Grinders ,
Bongs, Glass Pipe. Visit us for more info at: http://www.headshopinternational.com/